Finally completed a long over due kitchen cabinet project. A few months ago I built new door for our old birch cabinets. As you can see to the right, we had painted them green a few years ago. I used my Kreg Jig to build simple pine rails and MDF center doors. I think they turned out great. Over the July 4th weekend, Bonnie and I completed the upgrade of the kitchen with paint and a new theme.
Photos of the kitchen from 1999 to 2014
Built with cedar and my Kreg Jig over the last few nights. Getting ready to transplant my grandfathers climbing rose to the base of this trellis.
Mica Powder is a finely ground powder that has various uses. It is used to in makeup, polymer clay and coloring resin. I buy mica from Coastal Scents (CS) or The Conservatorie. A few times a year CS will run a 30-50% discount sell on all of their mica. I normally stock up because a little goes a long way. You can purchase samples (tablespoon) of any color for $1-$2 each. They come in little zip lock bags and are shipped cheaply by UPS. I can make several casts out of a little bag. Normally, I purchase 4 ounce jars of mica.
Mica blanks most likely will need the tube painted. If you don't, the brass tube will show through the blank.
In some cases, you can mix the mica to make different color variations. Below are some blanks that were made with mica powder.
Another type of powdered pigment that give similar effects to mica is Jacquard Products Pearl Ex. (http://www.jacquardproducts.com/pearl-ex-pigments.html)
This is a work in progress. My niece, Jessie, got her first job and first apartment. I ask her if I could make her some end tables and coffee table for the new apartment. We went to the sawmill in Bagdad, KY. Great place. He had some lumber that wasn't grade A quality. Yep, that sounded great for me. Jessie loved it because it was very different with the knots. For me, it was inexpensive @.80 bf. We bought about 110 bf of 4/4 white oak. I've included in-process photos. I'll try to update as soon as I can with finished photos.
Another fun day working with the Headboard benches. I painted Bonnie's bench white tonight. I used a HVLP spray with water based paint. Sure made the painting go a lot quicker. I just wish I had a bigger compressor. I guess that is the next thing on my tool wish list.
Made a bench a little different from the others that I have made. I made it just like a very very short bed. Again, I used the Kreg jig to assembly the structure of the bench. I used 2x4 boards that I had planed to 1" thickness. I just need to get some cedar fence boards that I can use as the seating. Bonnie claimed this bench as soon as I had it together. I'll post pictures tomorrow after it is complete.
It has been a busy week building new couch tables. Week is only half done. I'll post some pictures of my shop and new tools soon.
Bonnie and I made this in a few hours today. She found the queen headboard and footboard on the curb back in the winter. It has been on our back porch waiting for us to make this bench. If someone is interested in the bench, send us an email.
It has been a cold spring in Kentucky. I haven't had time or energy to get into the shop to work. Hopefully, I'll get into the shop soon to make this couch table. I've been trying to learn to use SketchUp to design some new projects.
I'm a beginning woodworker playing with simple projects I can complete quickly.